“Animation and games are creative and technically driven industries and our teams have to be constantly up-skilled in order to compete in this truly global market. Animation Skillnet is excellent in offering innovative, relevant training designed by leading practitioners within the industry and facilitates excellent networking and sharing of ideas across the sector.” Paul Young, CEO, Cartoon Saloon.
Animation Skillnet was established in July 2013 to address the current and future vital skills needs of the animation, games and vfx sectors in Ireland.
WHAT WE DO
- We run regular (short and long) subsidised training courses for member companies and freelancers working in the sector.* These courses are and will continue to be bespoke, specialist courses designed and delivered by industry professionals to address the needs identified by industry.
- We offer subsidised (up to 30%) in-house training solutions to companies (for current staff or new recruits). The definition of training that qualifies for the subsidy can be broad and can include on-the-job training, placements, networking etc.
- We offer subsidised rates to high level personnel in studios to attend key international events (conferences/markets etc.) such as the Kidsceen Summit, the Children’s Media Conference, FMX , Siggraph and GDC.
- We fund, organise and/or support key conferences/networking events for the sector, including the VFX and Animation Summit, Digital Biscuit, Animation Dingle, the Animation Art Show, Pegbar and Women In Animation Ireland to name a few.
- We are responsible for the Bridge Programme in partnership with Dublin Business Innovation Centre, Screen Training Ireland and the Irish Film Board. The Bridge is an intensive 8 week programme aimed at producing “Industry Ready Specialists” for the animation, games and vfx sectors in Ireland.
- In collaboration with Screen Training Ireland we run the 12 month Animation and VFX Traineeship Programme for the animation and VFX sectors in Ireland.
“Animation Skillnet has become a valuable asset to the Irish animation industry. Bridging the skills gap between graduates and industry and developing the skills of those already operating in the animation sector. The progress and competitiveness of the Irish animation and VFX industry is dependant on the quality of the talent available. Animation Skillnet is a supportive driving force behind the development of the talent that will underpin the future growth of the sector.” Stephen Fagan, Managing Director, Treehouse Republic
“I would highly recommend doing the Animation Skillnet courses, or being involved in the VFX & Animation Traineehip programme. These programmes with there focus on new technologies and industry trends have supported Pink Kong Studios greatly. I hope that Animation Skillnet, which is an extremely useful resource, keeps growing and supporting companies like ours to learn and grow as the industry changes.” Niamh Herrity, CEO, Pink Kong Studios
“Animation Skillnet has provided our staff with immense, accessible opportunities to up-skill in a variety of industry relevant areas. Through our engagement with Animation Skillnet there has been a definite excitement about learning in our studio. The course topics are designed to allow the application of learning in day-to-day roles, which is very rewarding for staff. These offerings along with the traineeship have led to high staff engagement, evident through the conversations people are having about what they are learning and the eagerness of staff to participate in the courses being offered.” Dr Arlene Egan, Learning and Development Manager, Brown Bag Films
Check out the launch video for Animation Skillnet here:
About Animation Skillnet
Animation Skillnet primarily focusses on supporting those in employment within the Animation sector/region. Whilst our key focus is on the needs of member companies, we also offer a small number of fully-funded programmes for jobseekers, subject to eligibility criteria and places being available on the programme.
We offer a limited number of FREE places to those who are unemployed and seeking to increase their employment prospects through up-skilling in relevant training. If you are currently unemployed, you may be eligible to attend training with Animation Skillnet with no charge or impact on your social welfare payments or benefits (for those who are in receipt of such payments). Click eligibility criteria for more details.
Several other Skillnet Networks participate in the Skillnet Ireland Employment Activation programme. This initiative is designed exclusively for unemployed people and includes free training in skills in demand by companies combined with direct access to employers through meaningful work placements. For information on other Skillnet Networks offering free training programmes for those seeking employment, see the Skillnet Ireland website.
Enhancing management capacity, particularly in SMEs, is a national policy imperative and a major priority for Skillnet Ireland and our networks. The suite of Skillnet Ireland Management Development Management Programmes are available to help business owners and managers improve business performance and enable businesses achieve better results.