Starts Wednesday November 2nd 2022 for 6 weeks. Storyboard Pro software will be provided for all participants.
Toon Boom’s Storyboard Pro, with its range and versatility has become the go-to software for many storyboard artists in the Film & TV industry, both for Live Action and Animation projects. In this course you will learn many of the program’s functionalities that will allow you to go from Script Stage to creating a full Storyboard and Animatic ready for a production pipeline.
What will the course cover?
- Bringing a script into Storyboard Pro.
- Creating 2D artwork, both character and environmental, directly in Storyboard Pro with its suite of tools.
- Use of layers, camera and stage, in both their static or animated form.
- Creating and timing an animatic.
- Introduction to utilising the 3D tools in Storyboard Pro.
- Outputting storyboards and animatics.
- Tips and trick to be more efficient in creating a storyboard. While the main focus of the course is to learn about the program, across the several classes we will also naturally discuss wider concepts of visual storytelling such as:
- Understanding the nature and role of a storyboard within a production.
- Acting for storyboards.
- Framing, Staging and Composition.
- Camera Shots.
- Timing and Pacing.
- Best practices while working as part of a pipeline.
You will also be given exercises to work from week to week as well as extra material whenever required for the tasks.
Is this course right for me?
This course is best suited for applicants who have already had or are in the process of receiving some formal training in either Live Action or Animation and/or already have professional experience in the industry. They should also have some level of training in drawing and would be comfortable with creating digital artwork utilising a pen display or graphic tablet.
About the Tutor
Patrick O’Callaghan is an artist, animator and storyboarder with 15 years experience in the Irish Animation industry in a range of roles. Some of his most recent storyboarding credits are: ‘Cosmo & Friends’ and ’Ballybraddan’ for Treehouse Republic/RTE; ‘Kiva Can Do’ Season 2 and ‘Alva’s World’ for Kavaleer/RTE; ‘Critter’s TV’ for Turnip+Duck/Daily Madness/RTE ;’Ollie’ Ink&Light/DailyMadness/RTE, ‘Becca’s Bunch’ for JAM/NIckelodeon amongst others. As a director, his short ‘Angel of 1916’ (Treehouse Republic) won Best Short at the Dublin Animation Festival 2016. He is regularly invited to give talks and workshops relating to visual language and storytelling.
Materials or software needed
Access to Storyboard Pro will be provided. You will need a good WiFi connection as the classes will be taking place on Zoom. You will be using their own hardware, including tablet and any other peripheral.
Dates and times
Wednesday the 2nd of November 2022 (7pm – 9pm GMT) and then every Wednesday for 6 weeks until December 7th.
€100 Euro for members and €120 for non-members (includes a licence to the software for the duration of the course).
Places are limited and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. The remote recording of these classes in full or part thereof without express permission is not allowed.
Please note that applicants must have a current, valid address in the Republic of Ireland in order to take part in this course.
- Enrollment has closed because the maximum number of allowed students has been reached.