The course will focus on advanced modelling and sculpting workflows that are required for fast environment modelling.
- Key software packages and tools for efficient workflow.
- Smaller scripts and useful tools that are free or affordable online.
- Workflow explained in details and theory.
- Demonstrations on how to achieve complicated tasks in a fast and easy manner. Will also be used in future lectures for building the assets.
- Participants will have access to videos which they will need to follow in between classes to practice methods, workflows and tools.
- Fundamentals of perspective, light and composition for environment art.
- Block outs for fast concept ideas.
- 2D Paint overs for fast iterations.
- Research, references, planning and estimation.
- Websites, tutorials, and other resources for finding material needed for the art piece.
- Deciding on a design, and starting blocking plus.
- Setting up lights and mood early on to avoid over modelling and detailing.
- Camera based modelling, and using the right tool for the right job to get things done quickly.
- Repetition and modular modelling to make larger scenes fast.
- Participants will be tasked to start an environment piece based one what they have learned in week 2 and present it at the end of week 3.
- Detailed modelling in Maya.
- Subdivision vs Boolean modelling and how to use these in production.
- Zbrush sculpting for environment art.
- Decimated workflow, UVs and how it’s used in production.
- Scatter systems and creating rector sets.
- Using MASH to generate large scale scatter systems.
- Using light gobos to frame your composition
- Scene Assembly and final composition.
- Adding details and set dressing.
- Final Lighting.
- Preparing the model for next stages of production.
- Clean up and publishing the set.
- Presentation tips and tricks
- Demo reel and portfolio advice.
- Review of participants assignments.
This course will cover production workflows and techniques for environment creation and is aimed at intermediate and advanced artists. Participants of this course will focus on advanced modelling and sculpting workflows for fast environment modelling; required standards for animation, feature film and cinematic industries.
Darko Mitev is Senior CG Generalist who has more than 11 years of production experience in the VFX, Feature Film, Commercials and game cinematic industries. He is currently working as a Senior Character Artist at Brown Bag Films.
To see more of Darko’s work, visit: darkomitev.artstation.com
Note: All lessons on this course will be recorded with screen capture software and will be available for the participants to review as additional learning material. Participants will be obligated to finish at least one art piece by the end of the workshop.
Date & Times:
5 Monday evenings from 6.30pm-9.30pm; November 5th, November 12th, November 19th, November 26th, December 3rd.
Unit 11, ground floor, Guinness Enterprise Centre, Taylors Lane, Dublin 8 (Directions and Map: http://gec.ie/get-in-touch/).
Members: 100 Euro, Non Members: 125 Euro
Payment can be made by credit card online (a link will be sent to you) or by cheque/postal order payable to Animation Skillnet.
Please apply by sending an email to: email@example.com
Deadline for Applications:
Wednesday 31st October