Animation Skillnet is delighted to partner with Lighthouse Studios and Adam’s Animation Academy to offer this two-week online course.
The course will be a mix of six live streaming sessions (2 hours each) in a virtual classroom and one-to-one support via video call/email, spread over two weeks to allow the participants time to work on their assignments.
Each participant will have access to a video library to go over anything they might have forgotten, as well as email support from the tutor.
All live classes and one-to-one sessions will be recorded for the participants to rewatch during and after the course, for a period of 1 month.
At the end of the course, each participant can have the option of a certificate of completion or certificate of participation from the tutor.
The course will cover the following topics in Toon Boom:
- The interface and file structure
- Drawing tools and substitutions
- Animating with pegs
- Using deformers
- The basics of the node view and rigging methodology
- How to navigate a rig hierarchy
- Z depth and scene set-up basics
- Blocking and inbetweening shots
- Importing and exporting to the library
- Walk cycles and head turns
- Lip sync and sound
- Full character performance
- Export settings and good studio practice
The participants will learn how to animate confidently in the software, and how to be an organised creative, avoiding bad practices! By the end of the course, they will have had the opportunity to animate several test pieces including lip sync, character performance and a walk cycle.
All training material and rigs will be provided, as well as a software licence for the duration of the course. Participants must have the following:
- A working PC or laptop meeting minimum requirements to run the software.
- A webcam and audio/mic to communicate with the tutor and other participants during the course.
- A good internet connection (ideally direct WIFI, wired if possible rather than mobile data).
This course is aimed at beginners and total newcomers to the software, but applicants must demonstrate some animation experience.
Participants will be invited to take a test for Lighthouse Studios at the end of the course if they wish to apply for a position within the studio.
About Lighthouse Studios
Lighthouse Studios first burst onto the animation scene in 2017 with one promise – to always deliver the highest possible quality in visual storytelling. Since then, they have been making good on that promise, working with the likes of content giants Amazon, Netflix and Cinesite to produce world-class 2D animations for audiences across the globe.
Based in the neo-gothic Kieran’s College in medieval Kilkenny, their studio is a real melting pot of different talents, cultures and personalities. With over 150 crew members from around the world all driven towards the same goal, their creative projects are always hugely ambitious and yet fun to work on.
Working at Lighthouse will give you the opportunity to not only learn from some of the most talented individuals in the industry, but also discover new cultures and new ways of working. In addition to learning from your colleagues, you also have the opportunity to partake in their in-house learning and development programme, so you can be sure that your time at Lighthouse will be beneficial for you not only now but for years to come.
Of course, they also have many other benefits such as a pension plan, employee assistance programme, health and wellness benefits, regular crew parties in non-Covid times and much more!
About the tutor
Adam Oliver is a 2D animator and educator with over a decade of experience in TV, film and commercials. He is in awe of the cool things Toon Boom can do and loves enabling people to use these tools through teaching. He runs the online training school, Adam’s Animation Academy, previously known as Toon Boom Trainer, which offers private tuition in the world’s best animation software. When he’s not animating digitally he likes to draw with a good old-fashioned pencil to keep him sane.
Dates and Times
- Monday 9th Nov – from 10am to 12pm: Live-streaming session 1
- Tuesday 10th Nov – Self-paced learning and assignments
- Wed 11th Nov – from 10am to 12pm: Live-streaming session 2
- Thursday 12th Nov – Self-paced learning and assignments
- Friday 13th Nov – from 10am to 12pm: Live-streaming session 3
- Monday 16th Nov – from 10am to 12pm: Live-streaming session 4
- Tuesday 17th Nov – Self-paced learning and assignments
- Wednesday 18th Nov – from 10am to 12pm: Live-streaming session 5
- Thursday 19th Nov – Self-paced learning and assignments
- Friday 20th Nov – from 10am to 12pm: Live-streaming session 6
There is no cost attached to the course but there is a limited number of places available: please ensure that your application is complete with with all requested documentation before submitting, make sure that all hyperlinks are working and that you are available for the total duration of the course.
Please apply by completed the form at the following link:
Deadline for Applications: Wednesday 28th of October at 5pm