“Animation and VFX represent a real opportunity for job creation across multiple technological and creative disciplines. This traineeship programme provides a flexible and innovative skills development model for these dynamic and expanding sectors.” Teresa McGrane, Deputy CEO of the Irish Film Board.
In 2015 Screen Training Ireland and Animation Skillnet partnered together with animation and VFX studios in Ireland to develop and deliver a one-year Traineeship Programme for Animation and VFX.
The Traineeship programme partners 12 trainees with 12 animation/VFX studios for one full year. Over the course of the programme, the trainee works in-house in the studio where they receive on-the-job training. In addition to on-the-job training, the trainee receives additional tailored training through Animation Skillnet and Screen Training Ireland.
The curriculum for the year of training was developed in close consultation with industry, and combines training in core skills for animation / VFX with specialist and studio-specific knowledge and skills. As part of the programme a training allowance / bursary is made available to selected participants.
The 12 participating studios and 12 trainees for 2015 are:
- Boulder Media Trainee: Alan Tighe
- Brown Bag Films Trainee: Ken Chambers
- Cartoon Saloon Trainee: Sonia Naqvi
- Giant Animation Trainee: Sean Quill
- JAM Media Trainee: Marianna Farris
- Kavaleer Productions Trainee: Katie O’Meara
- Kite Entertainment Trainee: Cathryn Gamble
- Pink Kong Studios Trainee: Niall Byrne
- Piranha Bar Trainee: Mark Shaw
- Screen Scene VFX Trainee: Sammy Khalid
- Treehouse Republic Trainee: Leigh O’Brien
- Windmill Lane VFX Trainee: Daryl McMahon
The traineeship programme was officially launched on the 11th of May 2015 with a key note address from Dreamworks Animation Director and Writer Dean DeBlois (HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON; HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2).
Check out a video from the launch here: